Tuesday, November 02, 2004

The Ghetto Vote

I really don't know where to start. Usually when I hear people say "they" don't want "us" to vote or our vote doesn't count, I suck my teeth at the ignorance. Democracy is for everyone, right? We have this democratic government to make things fair and equal for everyone - everyone gets to have a say. Well I just came back from voting and I'm really starting to think that "they" don't want "us" to vote and what's more scary is that I don't think my vote will count at all this election. It could be me being paranoid as usual but I really don't know. I have been a registered voter since 18. I've voted for in every election except for the Bush/Gore election, after seeing what happened I swore to vote each and every time after that. Well, I go to vote and my name does not appear, I had to fill out a paper ballot which I feel is going to get lost.
The chaos and confusion where I voted was unbelieveable! Lots of people there were upset and I realized this is why they feel that we don't count. Some of them even left - now is that fair? I really wonder what it's like to vote outside of the ghetto, if the confusion is as great. If things are orderly, and if the people who left this time around, who do count, will ever return to vote?
I do pray that nothing goes wrong this time around. There is too much on the line IMO for another screw up. Sure some people would love to see our current president in office again and honestly up until a few days ago I was sort of leaning towards him, but I really think I must have been on crack or was brainwashed, he is so against for what I stand for as a woman, as a healthcare professional, and just as a regular human being who happens to be a minority living in the ghetto and I am soooooo happy that I realized before it was too late.

No comments: